Welder Fitter (2nd shift) | Manitowoc
The Welder and Fabricator for AT&F works jointly with Operations and Weld Engineering. This person is tasked with the fit-up, assembly and welding of various steel fabrications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND CREDENTIALS:
- Weld components in flat, vertical, or overhead positions.
- Designs fixturing and fitting processes for assembly type welding projects
- Works with Operations and Weld Engineering to execute various types of projects.
- Analyze engineering drawings, blueprints, specifications, sketches, work orders, and material safety data sheets to plan layout, assembly, and welding operations.
- Check grooves, angles, or gap allowances, using micrometers, calipers, and precision measuring instruments.
- Chip or grind off excess weld, slag, or spatter, using hand scrapers or power chippers, portable grinders, or arc-cutting equipment.
- Clamp, hold, tack-weld, heat-bend, grind or bolt component parts to obtain required configurations and positions for welding.
- Layout, position, align, and secure parts and assemblies prior to assembly, using straightedges, combination squares, calipers, and rulers.
- Mark or tag material with proper job number, piece marks, and other identifying marks as required.
- Operate safety equipment and use safe work habits.
- Prepare all material surfaces to be welded, ensuring that there is no loose or thick scale, slag, rust, moisture, grease, or other foreign matter.
- Recognize, set up, and operate hand and power tools common to the welding trade, such as shielded metal arc and gas metal arc welding equipment.
- Remove rough spots from workpieces, using portable grinders, hand files, or scrapers.
- General welding and shop duties as needed
- Have a strong understanding of fixturing and bracing techniques to counter or minimize distortion concerns.
- Needs a good understanding of blueprints and weld joint designs.
- Strong overall mechanical aptitude.
- Experience in welding of Carbon, Stainless, or High Alloy Steels (3-5 years experience preferred)
- Understand the basics of NDE
- Strong Assembly Background
- Demonstrates ingenuity and creativity in problem-solving.
- HS diploma or equivalent
- Founded in 1940, AT&F is a major producer of components for construction cranes and mining equipment; structural sections for shipbuilding, nuclear power plant related components, specialty stainless steel fabrications as well as armor and armor vehicle systems.
- AT&F currently operates multiple facilities in Northeast Ohio with over 600,000 square feet of manufacturing space and over 200 Team Members. The company also has operations in Denmark and India.
- US operations are comprised of specialized Business Units (BUs) and Divisions: Heavy Fabricating, Steel Processing, AT&F Nuclear, AT&F Advanced Metals, AT&F Structures, AT&F Wisconsin & AT&F Marine.
- The company is in its fourth generation of family management. While the values of the organization are similar to those found in family-run firms, the company is sophisticated and professional without being pretentious.